Chocolate Crinkles (a.k.a. The Brookie)

As you probably saw a few weeks ago on my Twitter and Facebook, I whipped up a batch of gluten-free and dairy-free Chocolate Crinkle cookies for my mom's birthday. She is allergic to everything: dairy, gluten, grass, dust, cats... even our dog Moose.

All of these allergies make it hard for her to get to enjoy a cake on her birthday because, let's face it, gluten free cake can be pretty dry and crumbly... unless you're magic like I am. (Okay, that was slightly cocky. Sorry about that!)

My mom got this recipe from a very close family friend who would babysit my mom while my granny was working in the United States Air Force. Not only has this recipe made it into a Christmas cookie contest, but it brings back so many memories for my mom and myself.

Another fun fact about these cookies: they are also known as "Brookies" by a form Michigan State Prosecutor and a local City Attorney. Both of these individuals were pretty darn ecstatic when I brought them each a brownie cookies, which is why they tend to be known around the courthouse as Brookies.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 tablespoons cocoa powder mixed into 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
  • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour (can easily switched for GF flour; I use Krusteaz)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup milk (I used almond milk)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
  • Powdered sugar
Let's Get Started
     
    Preheat oven to 350*F
Melt the coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl, and stir in the cocoa powder; set aside
Cream shortening, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl

Beat in the eggs

Now add in the melted chocolate
In a separate bowl, sift or stir together dry ingredients
Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk to the chocolate mixture, starting with the dry ingredients
Add chopped nuts (if you're using them)
WARNING: Do not test the dough before throwing it in the fridge! It does not taste as satisfying as it looks!!
(Oh. Don't eat it because of the raw eggs either. #PartyPooper)
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and throw it into the fridge for 3 hours, or freezer for 30 minutes to an hour
Using a 1" cookie scoop, form dough into balls, and generously coat in powered sugar
Bake on a greased or parchment paper covered (my preference, because less clean up!) cookie sheet for approximately 15-17 minutes
Remove cookies from baking sheet and onto a cookie rack to cool before lightly dusting with more powered sugar
(If a cookie or six just magically happen to break while transferring, I won't tell. Can't let those suckers go anywhere but into your mouth. No one likes broken cookies.)





Feel free to give this recipe a try, and make sure to Tweet your results to @sarahraesweets! Who knows? I may send some free cookies your way! ;)

Happy baking!




Comments

  1. My daughter LOVES to bake , she actually has more equipment than I do, I just bought her a kitchen aid mixer for her 14th birthday , I will have to try this recipe and put my mixer to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna have to try this. Every year i use to make homemade chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies for holiday. I should start back

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so I have tried to bake them they don't look good as yours but close. I love them !!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts