Baby Shower for an Angel Baby

October 15 was Pregnancy, Infant, and Child Loss Awareness Day. I have not personally had to endure this tragedy, but I know so many women—of all ages—who have had to face this.
At 7:00pm on October 15, a candle is to be lit on the windowsill for at least one hour so that there is a continuous wave of light for the children gone too soon.
I lit two candles, but would have made sure to burn more if I had only known how many women I knew with angel babies.

This post is about the opportunity I had to bake and decorate cupcakes for one of my best friends to celebrate her son, whom was due to be born in October 2016. The theme for his nursery and baby shower was a nautical theme: anchors, whales, blues…everything adorable without being overly “boy” for the first grandson on both sides. 

I was so honored to make the cupcake cakes for the shower. One of them was in the shape of an anchor (see picture to the right) and the other was in the shape of a whale…sort of.


The delicious vanilla cupcakes (yes, I had to taste one of the ugliest ones to make sure they tasted as good as they smelt) had a swirl of teal, blue, and white buttercream frostings on top of them to match the theme. Yes, anchors are typical gray or silver, but why not make the frosting a fun blend of colors?

Needless to say, this has been probably one of my favorite finished products to date. I mean, just look at it! Don’t y’all think that it looks like a super cute anchor?! (There I go, tooting my own horn again. Oops.) The whale, on the other hand, did not turn out as cute, so I didn’t even bother taking his picture. Thankfully he tasted good, from what I was told!

The shower was on August 26, 2016. I was unable to attend due to having wisdom teeth removed the day before, which was why I offered to make the desserts. From what my friend, her husband, and her parents told me, the cupcakes were a hit.

 Less than a week later, I got a message from my friend’s mother that she was rushed to the hospital. Her doctor appointment went horribly, because her son’s heartbeat couldn’t be found.

August 31, 2016: Heaven gained a little angel just a little over a month before his scheduled appearance here on earth. I had the honor of making the desserts for his shower, not knowing that it was actually an early party for his Heavenly birthday.  Then, on August 31, 2017, this family greeted their beautiful rainbow baby. The little girl shares a birthday with her big brother, and helped turn such a dark day into something bright and lovely.


To learn more about Pregnancy, Infant, and Child Loss Awareness Month, visit www.october15th.com. This website has links to pending regulations, coping resources, awareness walks, and even items for those angel mothers in your life. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts